Wednesday, July 11, 2007

waking up high

I dozed off up on a tree limb--one of the many that I had been trying to insulate and care for. It was easily twenty stories high and since I wasn't sleeping anymore I figured I might as well get on with the work. Apparently I wasn't past being tired before I climbed. You know that feeling, when you wake and only then become aware that you've been asleep? Well it was clear to me then, that I had to get down. There was quite a bit of fear involved in the descent, but it wasn't until I was back on the ground that the severity of the situation really sunk in. As I told my husband what had happened, I realized that my situation had to change.

That was when I woke up.

And in my post-sleep haze, I found myself thinking of all the things I had to take care of and the recognization that I wish for more of a net--the "just in case" variety.

But I also see that whether it is the sleeping dream or the waking dream, the message remains the same. Wake up and take care of yourself.

No comments: